The creators of almost all of our entertainment will have their rights protected by copyright law. This activity will help you think about what this means.
In the first column of the chart below, is a list of entertainment products that have all been created by an individual or a team. In the second column, try to come up with three examples of this product that you and / or your family may have at home. In the third column, say where the product was purchased.
Copyright protects the authors and creators of these original works. It is illegal to make a copy of someone’s work without permission. Discuss these questions with a partner:
- How would you feel if someone copied something you created? Has that ever happened? If so, explain the situation.
- Have you (or your family) ever purchased a product (e.g., music DVD or movie) that you later discovered was a fake? How did it make you feel? What did you (or your family) do about it?
- Have you ever been asked to buy fake products?
- If you bought the fake products – or were tempted – why was this?
- If not, what stopped you?